Thursday 17 October 2013

Zorbaz Restaurant

Recently I introduced you to the prospect of me taking my foodie adventures away from the plain sailing world of crepes to other local places to eat. This led to a visit to a Greek Restaurant (www.zorbaz.co.uk) on Radford Road.  

12 years since starting my love affair with Coventry, I had a spell couched surfing* as I tried to not leave the life of a student behind. Not quite as exotic sounding as traveller’s journey's around sunnier climes like Australia, but this couch surfing lark took me out of the perilous city ring road and to Radford.

I'll get to the point, Zorbaz restaurant was a restaurant we passed on a journey over to the Student Union and back.  Not quite on my bucket list, it was always somewhere that I felt I would like to go if I had a regular income. Trust me I do have bigger dreams, but my plan of going to eat locally meant I visited and most importantly ate at Zorbas restaurant.

What do you do when you are not an expert in Greek cuisine? Go for the mezze; a range of small options that allow you to try a larger variety of foods rather than the traditional 3 course meal.

My love of humus meant it was an automatic choice from the mezze options and I played it safe again with feta cheese and salad. Keftadakia, a Greek take on meat balls that was simple, but deliciously coated with a tomato sauce. Saganaki was Amanda’s unhealthy choice of deep fried Greek cheese. If Amanda was allowed to give into temptation then that was my excuse to go for Loukanika, which is a Greek type of sausage similar in nature to the Spanish chorizo with a light peppery spice to it.

Other treats were the stuffed vine leaves. Vine leaves that are wrapped around rice and melt in your mouth. Out of all the foods we had these are the ones I would recommend the most.

There is a downside to the Mezze, if you want to call it a downside, is that you are full by the time it comes to the desserts.

So my 3 tips:

1. Go to Zorbas.

2. Choose the Mezze. You can’t fail!

3. Do not eat for 12 hours prior to your meal.

 
* I think I better clarify couch surfing. Not a Wikipedia definition, but it meant that I was able to continue the University lifestyle a year after I had finished my degree by staying around my friends and sleeping on their sofa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment